Suppliers cable diameter??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought an old detached house. I have had a qualified electrician look at replacing my antique fuseboard with a new circuit breaker type. worryingly, he had told me that there is no earth to my house, and that my 'tails' come from next doors supply?

He seemed a little vague on the solution, but told me that as my tails to my main fuse came from next door, i could use their earth?? Is this legal?

Also he said that the energy company should replace the tails to my fuse and then to my meter as they are seriously under sized? Will my supplier charge me to do this? I asked the electrician, but he said that he could not touch this part of the wiring!

Lots of questions i know, but the electrician looked as puzzled as i did to be honest.

Thanks

Kelly

Sponsored Links
I don't think it is up to you (or your electrician) to connect an earth into next doors supply, as it stands the only method your electrician should employ is to install an earth electrode and designate it TT. If your electrifican were to connect it to your neighbours earth in their property there may be a risk of it being disconnected. If the DNO can supply you with an earth from their equipment then this is OK, only the DNO can replace the tails in their equipment or work on their equipment.

Sponsored Links
Contact the DNO - They will let you know if they will charge - and if they do, it wont be too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back