DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

replacing a barrel lock on a UPVC door

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yarn

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote

Eh up DIY'ers,

I am watching some barrel locks on ebay at the moment as i would quite like to change my front door lock. I understand that there is a fixing bolt, which I can see in my current f/d. Is it really that simple to just undo the fixing bolt and take the lock out? is it tricky to insert a new one (get things to line up etc?) if i take it out, will i be stuck without security untill i can get a lock smith out LOL!

I see that they are different lengths, i am hoping to take my old one out then measure it, to buy a new one.

Any advice about makes to buy or avoid? a lot on ebay are very cheap and do not mention manufacturing names.

{a side though, i will probably get it sent to work so that my address is not given to man selling me the lock!}

Last question:

My back door looks the same (lock wise) but it locks in a different way. Front door requires a key turn to lock. But back door locks when handle is pushed up. Is this a different type of barrel lock or can you adjust them to lock in different ways.

I would ideally like one which locks automatically every time, but does not require a key to unlock from inside.

All help gratfully recieved.

Ill go take a few pictures..

I would also like to replace the whole handle assembly, but have not seen one on Ebay yet.

PS, do i need to get a fenser cirt if i buy and fit a whole new front door from Wickes?

please note forum rules, general information, item g
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
diy_for_fun

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote

replacing the cylinder is that easy, retaining screw out, push cylinder out, put new one in, retaining screw back in. best to measure current one, put back in, then off you go to buy new one icon_smile.gif

as for makes, i'm no expert, ones in my doors are winkhaus which are known to be pretty good.
 Alert Moderators
Yarn

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the hlp Diy_for_fun.

Can anybody answer the question about why my back door has a different locking action to the front please?

Lynda, I do not understand your moderation comment. You have removed my photo - why?
 Alert Moderators
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote

Yarn wrote:
Can anybody answer the question about why my back door has a different locking action to the front please?

Every doors, locks & manufacter are all difference or improving as time goes on.
 Alert Moderators
The-brickie

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote

Barrels are pretty basic things, names are one thing (winkhaus, furh, yale, avocet) are all good industry names but a barrels a barrel at the end of the day, get a same size one, measure the end to the middle of the black lever (different profiles have different centres) and jobs done.
 Alert Moderators
barnetboy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote

The Euro Lock website is pretty helpful.

http://www.euro-lock.co.uk/?gclid=CKSZs6GHkosCFSVEEAodhWR7Qg
 Alert Moderators
Yarn

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote

The lock came out with ease!

I realise now that the locking action of my UPVC doors are part of the door itself. The action of the door handle is the thing that unlocks the door (removes the dead bolts) and the cylinder lock only prevents the door handle being lowered.

The-brickie makes a good point that some of these lockes have an uneven centre hole. In the DIY shop they are often quoted as length from one end to center hole and then rest of length, i.e. 35 / 40 for a 75mm cylinder with a slightly offset center hole.

I personally need a 45/45.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Windows and Doors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: