oil fired boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having let my oil run too low how do I clear airlock in boiler

Sponsored Links
Er...what make/model boiler is it?

What is your level of mechanical/engineering ability?

It is one thing to bleed an oil line when you have all the right tools, but it is another to ensure you have no oil leaks after you have finished. I have the opinion that if you had the abilities you would probably have done it anyway. I'm not trying to be obstructive, I have oil leaks to deal with sometimes, but I've got everything I need to stop them.

Hi Eric,
A few years ago I had to remove my tall oil tank that was on a stillage and replace it with a lower tank that stood at 2ft below ground level and 6ft below my oil pump.
The problem of removing air from the supply pipe is easier when the oil level is higher than the oil pump inlet. You can slacken the inlet pipe slightly so trapped air can escape.
Mine was not as simple as that.
I cut into the feed pipe close to tank, I fitted a Tee connector, a short piece of pipe, a 10mm valve followed by 6ft of 10mm clear plastic pipe vertically.
To the top I fitted a small vessel to hold about 3 litres of oil.
By having the main tank valve closed and the 10mm valve open I now had my oil level higher than the pump and it was easy to eliminate the air.
This was done basically so I could run the boiler at the same time I was changing tanks, today I use it just to check the oil level which I can see through the plastic pipe.
There is also a bleed valve on the oil pump, but of course you need to ensure you have oil at the pump first.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back