Buying a a new printer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking of buying a new printer. We are fed up with expensive cartridges, any thoughts on which printer has the cheapest cartridges or most economical ink usage?

Sponsored Links
all the same.

when you buy a printer the cartridges are around 50% empty, why do you think the printer costs so little.

some like the ink refil things. i hate them

just stay away from lexmark, also do you really need to print out everything?

Apparently Printer ink is something like the second most expensive substance on the planet.

You can use 'compatible' cartridges with Canon printers. I have had three Canon printers over the years and they have been fine. Make sure you choose 'draft' if you are just printing out a 'file' copy or a long e-mail to refer to away from the computer.

Sponsored Links
You haven't said if you mostly print text (black and white) or colour, and if you do photos or piecharts.

I mostly use a "laser" printer which is very cheap on toner but is monochrome and no good on photos, even B&W. Most office printers are like this.

How would you feel about spending £100 or so on a printer?

How many pages do you print in a year?

We use the printer quite alot for work. (teacher in the house!!) so colour is neccessary. We wanted one that prints photos too. We have seen Epson printers that do individual cartidges. One printer/scanner/copier is about £60 and one is about £100. They have different ink types (one is four inks one is six). Not sure what anyone thinks of these? Is the more expensive one worth it? Or is the photo quality good enough with four colours?

You mention two printers.

Do you do enough monochrome printing that the (very cheap) cost-per-page of a laser would be attractive? You would need another (very expensive per copy) colour printer to do the pictures on.

How many pages do you print in a year?

(p.s. I have an OKI LED "laser" printer (my second). The black toner cartridge usually costs between £9 and £15 on fleabay (I recently got 3 for £15 inc :D ) and nominally does 3,000 pages The drum lasts for up to 25,000 pages, after which I will probably buy a new printer rather than change the drum; or I might reset the drum counter and wait for it to fail - the new drum is about the same price as the printer, unless you find one going cheap)

I Like Epson printers. I've just bought my second. I used my other Epson printer way beyond it specified requirements and still it worked.
It is false economy to buy a cheap printer when the cartridges cost a fortune, and now with Epson they have 4 which means if you use a lot of (say)CYAN then you just change that one. Compatibles are good, but for really special docs/photos stick to Epson (water proof too.)
The photo quality is good.
My new printer has a scanner (I wished I had opted for the next model as it scans negatives/slides) and is a Colour photocopier too.
I am so pleased with it, I'd like to take it out to dinner and go see a movie after..... :LOL:
It's Also EASY to install.
PS: If you want to save money as you print out quite a bit, try recycling paper. You get so much rubbish through the door these days, dont chuck it away, print on the back, then chuck it.

I feel in a good mood today, must be all that chocolate.....

PS: I DO NOT work for Epson.

I have an epson photo r220 printer it has 4 colours and 1 black, does brilliant pictures (notthat i use it much) aslso quality of paper is very important, oh and it prints cd's but never tried that bit

Oh Yes, forgot to say that there are print ink saver software. I have not tried it yet, so cannot vouch for its saving abilities.

ive used a epson 830 photo printer for a few years good printer very cheap compatible ink cartridges sometimes get 5 colour for price of 1 epson one . but a tip buy a head cleaning cartridge if you use compatible ink and dont uses your printer for a while. the cleaning cartridges are brilliant at cleaning the print heads for those perfect photo prints . id buy another epson again .i have had 1 canon printer but didnt like it .

Syne Wave said:
PS: If you want to save money as you print out quite a bit, try recycling paper. You get so much rubbish through the door these days, dont chuck it away, print on the back, then chuck it.

Don't try this with a laser printer!!!

The heated rollers which are used to fuse the toner to the page could remelt the exisiting print on the page and will then get contaminated and need replacing.

Inky Pete said:
The heated rollers which are used to fuse the toner to the page could remelt the exisiting print on the page and will then get contaminated and need replacing.
Eh? How do you think duplex xerography works then?

Igorian said:
Apparently Printer ink is something like the second most expensive substance on the planet.
Think you should have said profitable instead of expensive :(

Softus said:
Inky Pete said:
Eh? How do you think duplex xerography works then?
The problem with printing onto the second side of used prints is contamination of the feed rolls more than the fuser, copiers designed for d/s copying usually have a separate tray that side one is fed into inverted, so that the rollers drive on a clean sheet of paper & do not get contaminated by toner from the first. As you say they pass through the same fusing process for the second side as the first so that will not be a problem, in any case the fuser roll is usually of a smaller diameter than the length of the paper so they have to have an efficient cleaning system built in.

Sponsored Links
Back