Outdoor Lighting - Separate Ring / Trip switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a guy in doing complete rewire.
Yesterday when last to leave I flicked off the trip switches instead of going around turning off all the lights. It was already dark, so thought I would leave the switch for the external lights on.

I noticed the lounge lights and the external lights were on the same switch (in the consumer box).

Is this a) Ok? and/or b) Normal?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Sure, very usual. There should be no problems provided the load does not exceed the capacity of the cable or the contact breaker's current rating.

TTC

there is nothing wrong with it BUT what stuff is on what circuit should be properly documented which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Thanks for the replies.

When I enquired today and he looked like a rabbit in the headlights I could only start to wonder. He faffed about only the upstairs and downstairs being on different switches, which was incorrect, as the dinning room etc is on another again.

I hate to doubt someone when they're doing well, you've been a great help.

:)

Sponsored Links
If he doesn't even know what he has done and hasn't left you documentation of what is on what circuits i'd be starting to worry about his competance.

what if any paperwork did he give you with the installation?

what rating are the breakers and what do they supply?

I was talking to the guy who's run the wires through alongside the tester.
Sorry, not up to speed with the terms.
But this isn't the chap who's testing and writing off the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back