Refitting concealed door closer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed a door with a concealed door closer while fitting a carpet. I've rehung the door, but cannot reattach the door closer plate to the door.

Is there a trick to holding the spring while screwing the plate to the frame?

Sponsored Links
If you have "Perko" closers with the miniature cycle chain:

Put the tube in the door and screw in.

Use a claw hammer to lever the plate out

Put a carpet tack through the chain to stop it being pulled into the tube

Fasten the plate.

Nexrt time, put the tack in before you unscrew the plate

When you buy a Perko, you sjhould receive a little metal gadget to help adjust the chain, but they usually get lost.

Thanks; the tack's a brilliant idea!

They were fitted before I bought the place, so the gadget's long gone.

That is absolutely fantastic idea with the tack - you have just saved a divorce from DIY!!! Thank you so so much.. Phew..

Sponsored Links
You may find that it's better to open it up away from the door. It's possible to twist the the chain end to expose the screw holes in the frame plate. Fix through these holes into a piece of timber large enough to stand on and with your weight on this timber pull the perko open and then of course push in the pin.
In the past we've had to change perkos with scratched plates that have been prized open with a claw hammer, but the really irritating thing is the perko's instruction say to use a claw hammer :eek:

Struggled for a hour to refit one of these, found this topic and finished in 60 seconds.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back