electric shock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have turned off the main switch on the fuse board, but when I removed a wall socket to replace it, I felt a slight tingle like a small electric shock from the wires when I touched them - What could be the problem

thanks

ron

Sponsored Links
Did you scuff your feet along the carpet before touching the earthed accessory?

please use the edit button

sometimes you're no fun :(

Softus said:
Did you scuff your feet along the carpet before touching the earthed accessory?

I bet he had no intention of putting his finger in his friends mouth. :LOL:

I think softus is trying to say the shock you got was static, the box will still be earthed

Once I felt this I re screwed the old socket back without changing it, just in case I was to get a shock

Sponsored Links
you mean to say you never tested it first to see if it was dead, better it dead than you.

please dont tell me you dont have a meter

Your on/off switch must work otherwise you wouldn't of posted this question. :LOL: if it didn't then you would of felt more than an slight shock :LOL:

PS don't worry them in the know will respond soon ;)

depends which on / off switch he switched, he may have two on off switches and some one may have switched the lable as to which switch is which switch.

but it was probably static

breezer said:
depends which on / off switch he switched, he may have two on off switches and some one may have switched the lable as to which switch is which switch.

but it was probably static

He should of had a ballon handy :LOL:

I had a lamp plugged into this socket, which went out when I turned the main switch on the fuse board off, therefore there should not have been any power going to the socket. So why did I get a slight shock when I touched the wires?

Thanks

Ron

ron237 said:
So why did I get a slight shock when I touched the wires?
DID. YOU. SCUFF. YOUR. FEET. ON. THE. CARPET?

markie said:
He should of had a ballon handy :LOL:
You turning French, markie? :eek:

No there is no carpet
Would there still be a feed from the nutral wire

Ron

ron237 said:
Would there still be a feed from the nutral wire
Did you turn off using a double-pole isolator (and I don't mean two Eastern European contractors)? If so, then no. If not, then possibly.

Do you, or do you not, have a meter than can measure AC volts?

I turned off both the switched fuse and the double pole main switch
I can get hold of an amp meter Can you tell me what I should be testing with this and how

Ron

ron237 said:
I turned off both the switched fuse and the double pole main switch
That's good.

I can get hold of an amp meter Can you tell me what I should be testing with this and how
Whatever you do, DON'T attempt to measure amps with it. :eek:

You should measure the AC voltage between the live terminal and an earth, and between the neutral terminal and an earth. Before and after doing that you should find a way to prove that the meter works, but do it safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back