Shower Pump Fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new electric shower in our sole bathroom, which is fed through the cold water supply only, via a 15mm pipe. I've now found that the pressure to the shower is low and the water falls out rather than showers out!! I intend to buy a power pump to increase the pressure and flow rate, and ideally would like to site the pump in the loft directly above the hot water cylinder. The distance from the hot water cylinder to the pump would be around 6-10 feet, I and would like to know whether this would be possible, and what problems I may come across when installing the pump.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
If you're adding a pump to the electric shower the hot water tank isn't involved. You can pump from the cold tank instead of feeding from the cold mains to get decent pressure.

I'm assuming you're currently feeding from the cold mains? That's how electric shower are designed to be fed generally. You can't pump the cold mains btw, it's illegal. :eek:

Or, you can start from scratch and pump hot and cold from the hot and cold cylinders. You ideally need to meet certain supply considerations mostly for the hot feed to ensure there's no air mixed on with hot supply. Normally done with a special flange or shower take off and the temperature normally should not exceed 65c as due to the low pressure left from pumping, cavitation occurs. (basically the water boils at this lower pressure and temperature and causes damage to the pump)

The fitting instructions included with a Salamander pump give lots of good advice on layout for reliable operation.
http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/Download/instructions.pdf

I've heard they are pretty good but only installed mine yesterday. RSP50 - decent for a normal shower, we've nothing special rose/bodyjet wise. Quiet, but I've mounted it on a 300mm square paving slab sitting on top of a layer of rockwool to stop vibrations getting through.

Stuart Turner pumps are also highly recommended but more expensive - I suspect like me, you're not looking at a really high end install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back