Removing old Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a novice here. I am trying to remove a cold water hooded tap from my bathroom sink. I have been able to remove the pipe leading to the base of the tap and I have had some success loosening and unscrewing the back nut. it is unscrewed up to the point of \\\"what looks like a another bolt\\\" but it seems fastened/soldered to the taps \\\"legs\\\" so there doesn\\\'t seem to be a way of removing the back nut entirely. Will I need to hacksaw the tap? There is also a lot of dirt (actually it looks like hair) on the taps legs making it even more difficult to unscrew the back nut fully. Not sure if what I said makes sense but any help would be appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a compression tap connector still connected to the bottom of your tap?
These screw onto the bottom of the tap, and have a compression fitting on the other end to accept a pipe and olive..... And sometimes they do seem to get well and truely stuck! Sometimes it is easier to cut the thing off rather than risk wrecking the basin trying to unscrew it.

Assuming you will be scrapping the tap, tighten up the backnut enough to stop the tap wobbling about and get to it with a spanner on the tap connector, and another spanner or bit of tube over the tap spout to stop the tap turning.

Sometimes growing an extra arm with at least three extra elbows and a universal joint at the wrist helps you reach both sides of the basin at once :)

Thanks TicklyT.
Think you're right, it is a tap connector. You were right also in that the job required bodily contortions of an altogether unnatural manner. Unfortunately I still wasn't able to budge the bloody thing.
Should I now consider the hack saw as I'm removing these taps anyway. Is sawing through the taps tail possible and will it take forever?
Thanks again for your help!!

Can you get your hands on a basin/tap wrench?

It "snaps" onto the back-nut of the tap which makes it easier to get a purchase on the nut and the wrench is angled at 90 degrees making it easier to turn it.

I'm sure a bit of Googling (other search engines are available ;) ) will turn one up for you.

Sponsored Links
Cutting a diagonal slot or two through the tap connector nut may allow it to flex enough to undo with a spanner easily. My preferred weapon is a padsaw, or a fine tooth 12 inch hacksaw blade with one end bound with plenty of tape to make a handle, cutting on the pull stroke. A sharp blade cuts the brass easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back