12v vs 240v downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some help. I am novice when choosing lighting. What are they advantages/disadvantages of both.

Sponsored Links
If you really must fit down lights then 230 volt ones will be future proof for when filament lamps are phased out in a couple of years.

Also with mains operated lights there is less to go wrong i.e. no transformers.

According to my wife we are having downlights.

Is there a difference in brightness and cost for the bulbs in each?

How would the brightness compare to that of 40W strip light?

Don't fall into the trap of thinking low voltage is the same as low energy - a 50W lamp uses 50W of power whatever the voltage.

Personally I'd go 230v every time - less to go wrong.

Sponsored Links
dunc_r said:
Don't fall into the trap of thinking low voltage is the same as low energy - a 50W lamp uses 50W of power whatever the voltage.
Betcha it doesn't. ;)

DESL said:
If you really must fit down lights then 230 volt ones will be future proof for when filament lamps are phased out in a couple of years.

Also with mains operated lights there is less to go wrong i.e. no transformers.

Agreed, when filament lamps are made illegal, you can replace them with compact fluorescent GU10 lights! :) These are much better lights altogether! ;)

Can you explain why they are better??

Their light output is absolute C**P!

That's what i am really after, a comparison of light out put for 12V, 240V, and energy saving as well as a comparison of energy consumption

12 volts apparently give a "better" slightly brighter light than mains voltage. Energy consumption is slightly higher for low voltage, due to losses in the transformer.

energy saving fluorescent lamps, in my opinion, are the best type of downlighter. They give a better beam width, and the light output from such a small lamp is phenomenal! They actually light all of the space, instead of a small pool on the floor. The colour of the light is also better for working under.

(L-R: CFL, halogen, LED)
fetch.php

//wiki.diynot.com/electrics:lighting:lamps:gu10

Barera, can you explain why they are C**p? The only bad thing i can think of is that they take a few minutes to warm up. Perhaps you weren't patient enough to wait for the full warmed-up light output?

If you think the light output is crap, come look at my bathroom.

which ones last longer? (12v or 240v)
which bulbs are the cheapest to replace? (12v or 240v)

(i know cfl cost more but last loads longer, i asked the above questions to provoke an answer to help the OP, i am in the against downlighters group)

I prefer the 240v GU10 types.... had some of the transformer fed 12v types in the kitchen which were obviously very cheap as the lamp socket contacts burnt out on two of them.

Robin

PeteOP said:
According to my wife we are having downlights.

Typical :mad:

Get her to put some money in a savings account for when you have to have those ugly great holes in the ceiling replastered and redecorated in a few years when she changes her mind.

Ohms law tells us the only thing that changes with a different voltage is the ampage....
I.E
50W @ 230V=0.22A
50W @ 12V =4.2A
So why doesnt a 50w lamp use 50w whatever the voltage?
All i can see is 12v is safer.
Someone enlighten me please :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back