featheredge painting..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my fence gradually with self built featheredge fencing ( built in situ.. )

I am using preasure treated boards and rails but am still painting them before assembly..

I currently use a 6" roller because I don't want spray everywhere as happened at my parents... ( little brown flecks on everything.. )

I have access to large plastic sheets at work and was thinking of making a "tank" out of it to soak the boards overnight..

what can i use to thin down the fence stain? or would watering it down be a bad idea..?

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
what can i use to thin down the fence stain? or would watering it down be a bad idea..?

sounds like its water based, in which case you could probly thin it down a bit , 20% ?

if it is oil based then do

Sponsored Links
I've tried dipping timber in those water-based fence stains, and I don't think it works. It probably soaks into end grain, but on the rest it just leaves a thick layer that drips off.

They work by leaving a water-repellent waxy film on the surface of the wood, not by soaking in. And as yoy won't be stirring it during the immersion, it will tend to separate out into a watery liquid with solids at the bottom.

On the other hand, a spirit-based preservative like Cuprinoil, which works by soaking into the timber and making it poisonous, will give good results by prolonged immersion, and this a good way to protect timber in contact with the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back