On demand water heater not firing, help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if some one could give me some help?

I have a Glow-Worm Ascot 1.4s on demand/tankless hot water system, it fires up fine when turning on the basin or bath but has stopped working a week ago with the kitchen sink, can any one suggest what might be wrong here and how to fix it?

Thanks for your help...

Stewart

P.S I can get the kitchen sink to work if I turn on the hotwater tap then turn sink/bath hotwater tap on until the system lights then I can turn the sink/bath off and the system stays lit with just the kitchen sink tap on...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

I'm pretty handy with DIY stuff is this a DIY job, if so where could I find a diagram and part numbers?

Cheers

Stewart

Can't find much evidence that it ever existed.
Is it old?

Is this your kitchen?
Oldkitchen1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Another thing that has happened is that the pressure has reduced in that tap, any ideas what to look for?

That must be pushing at least 18 years old but is in fantastic condition and could be preserved for stage screen or TV properties.

Within that brass unit is a diaphragm but as it operates a gas valve I would not recommend it as a DIY job.

It looks like a simple job but they are rarely as easy as they look !!!

Tony

You new boys ought to get out more, very popular water heater fitted by many local authoritys from the early eighties on wards.

As for getting parts you will prob be unlucky as Ascot got taken over a few times but yours is the glowworm version so try them. Or if you see a gasman in his van speak to him nicely and he may look up part number on his laptop and let you know part number and wether it is obsolete

You say that water pressure has dropped ,this can affect diaphragm working properly so check for stop cocks partially turned off etc.

If you do, do it yourself after undoing screws holding it in place drop it straight down so that the pin that comes out of the top does not get bent as even a small bend can cause a dangerous situation. On reassemble pin should be cleaned and smeared with silicone grease.

Try these people Gas appliance spares preston. 01772 702755.. Its not on there web site but they have far more products in stock than they put on site

namsag said:
Or if you see a gasman in his van speak to him nicely and he may look up part number on his laptop and let you know part number and wether it is obsolete

:eek: so its you that encouraged these people to annoy me in my lunch break :LOL:

lunch break nickso. You will be drawn over the coals you could fit another couple of jobs in, instead.. Must say the one that used to annoy me was the knock on the window followed by are you reading the meters..

I asked a friend this lunch time what he thought, he suggested the tap could be at fault so I decided to remove the tap and guess what FULL to brim with limescale, removed the lot and hey presto everything is working again, thanks for your input guys.

BTW I think the unit is original with the house so 1985 making it 22 years old and still going strong!

namsag said:
lunch break nickso. You will be drawn over the coals you could fit another couple of jobs in, instead.. Must say the one that used to annoy me was the knock on the window followed by are you reading the meters..

or the classic knock on the window and....

1) do you know why meter is faulty and using too much gas?
2)where do i get a key to open my meter box?
3)do you work for transco?
4)what do you think is wrong with my boiler?

all regulars those.

my favourite was the guy who knocked on the van and asked if i knew why his storage heaters were using so much electricity :LOL: :confused:

you can still get diaphragms for these.They are the same as the earlier main medway.I`d get one while stocks last and also get pushrod o ring seal.Not a job you want to do yourself but good to have parts at hand.

Glow-worm have a fix anything, replace anything service for a £195 fixed price. I recommend them for thoroughness and determination to fix it, however they took 5 months to finally repair my boiler!!!

But they explained that wasn't usually the case as my problem was particularly hard to locate and required the change of many parts on an experimental basis to locate the cause of the problem. But I must have saved hundreds of pounds and they replaced so many parts that I can declare that my boiler has been re-conditioned!

Polly1 said:
But they explained that wasn't usually the case as my problem was particularly hard to locate and required the change of many parts on an experimental basis to locate the cause of the problem. !

Thats the description of a parts changer with no diagnostic skills !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back