Was advised today not to buy porcelain tiles for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been getting a few quotes for getting a bathroom done and the last fitter who came round advised us quite specifically not to get porcelain tiles due to problems with drilling through them (wearing out bits etc.). Which is a pain because the one tile that I've seen so far that I like happens to be a porcelain one!

So is he talking rubbish or does he have point? On here I've read others talking about drilling through porcelain tiles and it doesn't seem to be that big a problem.

Sponsored Links
Never heard such rubbish..Get some more quotes.

But if they are wearing a ten gallon hat, and a six shooter, tell them to get lost.... :LOL:

This is the whole problem with getting quotes - the only people who come round are those who have too few jobs and too much time on their hands.

I must have written this a zillion times, but: get a recommendation from a friend, colleague, or family member, for someone they've used and trusted.

Sponsored Links
They are harder to drill but with a few cheap diamond coated holesaws there is no problem. Just tell the tilers you are going for porcelain and he should allow for any extra cutting/drilling in his price.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back