Backbox hole/thread damaged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, need to change a socket, straight forward enough, but the thread on one of the backbox screw holes has gone. It will make a mess changing the backbox, any ideas on a way around this please. I thought of perhaps using a small (same size as the screws) bolt and nut, and supergluing the nut to the back of the old hole. Are there any other methods to combat this please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get a plate screw stud extender and nut /bolt that through the failed screw hole, then with a shorter faceplate screw, screw that in to the extender which has been bolted either side of the failed screw hole.

MK3710.JPG

(the above will only work if the back box is recessed by 8-10mm between failed screw hole and faceplate due to stud depth)

You can also get a re-tapping kit

If the failed screw hole is a flexible toggle on the back box, bend the toggle and pull off, then replace with a new one.

Glueing a nut behind the failed screw hole would work, but could fail the next time you need to access the socket (and then have to be re-done)[

Try and re-tap out to M3.5 if there isn't enough material see if you can flatten it out a little to close up the hole and try again, if still no go, you could drill it out enough to let the screw pass unhindered, use a longer screw and drill and tap the back of the box (2.9mm drill for M3.5 IIRC)

or re-tap the lug for m4 (assuming that a m4 screw will fit through your faceplate holes)

Sponsored Links
you could actually snap a lug off another back box and tape it behind the old lud (I am asumming you have tried and failed with a M3.5 tap)

Thanks guys, appreciate all the advice.
Those extender look great, never knew they existed. They look a lot like computer motherboard mounting nuts, I have loads of those, should be able to work something out. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back