Leaking Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a Potterton Suprima 60 that has just started leaking. It's dripping water from the bottom. The heating hasn't been on for the last week because of the warm weather so maybe this has something to do with it?

We plan on updating the whole system anyway but anything we can do as a quick fix to stop this leaking??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends where it's leaking from, if it's the connections or pipes above then yes it's fixable but if the heat exchanger is shot it's pretty much dead. Further investigation required.

ollski said:
Depends where it's leaking from, if it's the connections or pipes above then yes it's fixable but if the heat exchanger is shot it's pretty much dead. Further investigation required.

Not often I do this but I disagree with the boiler being shot if the Heat exchanger is holed

2 hours work (with a lot of swearing) and I think the HE is about 200 Plus VAT

worth flushing after as well

hi

Thanks for that. The drips are coming from the bottom of the actual boiler so does this mean the leak is coming from within the boiler? If so, if this the heat exchanger?

Sponsored Links
The leak could be coming from anywhere!

Well it might be a connector to the boiler, a joint onto the HE or the HE itself cracked or a core plug.

Any of those could be repaired except the HE itself.

Hardly worth a new one for that model although a second hand one would be much cheaper and many of these boilers are being removed due to repeated problems with the PCB.

Tony

Eh

People are paying for a new boiler when all they need is a new PCB, especially not watchdog have torn a lump out of potterton and they are doing it cheap????

I still say the heat exchanger has gone cos probably no one has put inhibitor in the system for years

they aint hard to change

The only leaking one I have been to was only leaking from the connection to the HE.

Because the landlord had never had it serviced the leak had gone undetected for months and had so badly corroded the boiler that it had to be replaced.

A similar GlowWorm model had cracked and when I cut open the HE found about 25 mm of debris lining the bottom. On these top entry boilers anything heavy that gets in just sits there and causes thermal stress and eventually cracks the c.i.

Tony

must just be my area tony I have changed shed loads of them

gettin quite good at it to I am ;)

Bunged a system, and replaced one today.

Cost em 60 quid labour, which can cost less than most pump changes i do.
This is not me advertising costs, as the job went well and could have cost more.

Have to agree with CORGIMAN.

Easy if the customer will let you shout.

Oh, and can I say I bunged a system to do gaskets on a bermuda 552 on Saturday. Never tried it before until me dad said " what the hell you draining it for?".

Scatman will no doubt moan at me again, but I was in the cafe at 11, with a slice of toast and a plate of bubble.

Dave

Scatman will no doubt moan at me again, but I was in the cafe at 11, with a slice of toast and a plate of bubble

Not at all....i bung whenever possible,,,even snatch it now and again :LOL:

Scatman will no doubt moan at me again, but I was in the cafe at 11, with a slice of toast and a plate of bubble

Not at all....i bung whenever possible,,,even snatch it now and again :LOL:

Cor you lot do a lot of snatch ;)

tee hee

balls to bunging and replacing a HE

I for one dont do bungs but am partial to the snatch

Finarrr finarrrr

corgiman said:
ollski said:

Not often I do this but I disagree with the boiler being shot if the Heat exchanger is holed

cm I mean shot in terms of the fact that the op is about to upgrade the boiler anyway, not generally.

ollski said:
corgiman said:
ollski said:

cm I mean shot in terms of the fact that the op is about to upgrade the boiler anyway, not generally.

I see now, Sorry Oll :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back