any way to prevent "key bumping"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
now that several idiots have made [Deleted by moderator 3 ;) ] for making keys to break into peoples houses, what is the best way to prevent this?

or are there any high security locks that can replace standard cylinders?

Sponsored Links
The two methods I use:

Chubb lever (or detainer) locks on external doors
Abloy cylinders on keysafes

Neither of these can be bumped

If you have a "yale" type nightlatch, the more expensive Chubb cylinders have a oddly knobbly key, (not the one shaped like a Yale key). I think this is called the Ava system,and can't be bumped either.

Abloy cylinders are available as replacement parts to fit many applications, they are curiously expensive. The key is like a half-round bar with notches in it.

Both these cylinder keys are very small and easy to carry around.

You can make out the Chubb Ava key here
rim_chubb_4L67E.jpg

And the Abloy key here
ABL-MORT-1.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
i'm guessing that it's soe kind of thick grease that stops the pins moving fast to stop them jumping when bumped, but still move out the way when the proper key is used..

also, care to shed some light as to why the you tube link was removed..?

Moderator 3
This was bought up before and diynot admin felt it's should be deleted to prevent anyone trying it out.

Sponsored Links
There on the market anti bump / anti snap ICL locks and some locksmiths can supply an anti bump spray for locks which is supposed to,last 12 months. Although if the person has the knowledge anti bump substances can be overcome or used as an aid to picking,

I've done quite a bit of work with Police and local authority burglary prevention, and have never come across any instances of lock picking or bumping etc from the chaviest to the most select estates.

I am not surpirsed woody, it takes time and patience and knowledge on how diffeent locks react. I do not think the average scroat could be bothered to get out of bed and learn

As "bumping" leaves no sign of a break in the crimes do not get reported as " lock bumped" and instead are reported as "no sign of physical breaking" which nulls most insurance claims - people HAVE to be aware that this crime is rife and not some marketing speel to make home owners purchase products they do not require.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back