Fitting a kitchen mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a mixer tap which has been fitted into the worktop unit and not into our stainless steel sink.I want to fit a new mixer tap and fit it into the sink to catch any drips. There is not a punch hole blank in the sink but there seems to be a small triangular area of sufficient space to sit a smallish diameter column of a mixer tap. How big a hole would I need to cut in the sink? It is not a high pressure system. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I wondered if the diameter of the hole is always much smaller than the column of the tap?

it usually is smaller, but as i said depends on your choice of tap

Sponsored Links
I was away putting together a agarden bench for my mum. This is the tap I propose to get. Is there a clue as to the size of hole needed to be cut into the sink when it is described as fitting standard size holes?

My idea was to attack the sink unit with an appropriately sized die on my black and decker drill; or should I call in a professional?

mikeonfreeserve said:
It is not a high pressure system.

What do you mean by "high pressure"? The reason I am asking is that as far as I know all kitchen taps are fed from a mains cold, as a drinking supply is not allowed to sit (the chlorine bubbles out at atmospheric pressure and so bugs can grow in tank water).

In my experience mains pressure is pretty high!

Although my bet is that you were referring to the hot, i.e. the hot isn't supplied by a combi. :?:

I'm trying to remove this 'Damixa' tap (pictured above) so I can replace the work surface but I'm having problems. I've unscrewed the base of the tap as much as I can, and it's exposed a very large, brass nut type thing. I can only see half of it, so can't get any spanner to it.

I've been trying for ages - any ideas?

Steve.

mikeonfreeserve said:
Yes, Adam, I meant the hot water isn't supplied by a combi.

It might be better to get a tap designed for the UK market then e.g. Bristan. These continental type taps sometimes result in poor performance with UK type low pressure hot water.

ssscccuse me didnt the posters name suddenly change
or am i getting the old altzhimers again
know i just posted something just cant remember what it was :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back