24i Junior Worcester Combi Boiler - problem no hot water...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having kitchen fitted, and they have piped off the hot and cold water for use with the new sink, dishwasher and washing machine!

However I found to my dismay that when I turned on the hot water tap (in the bathroom) there was strong throughput but no hot water

UNLESS I turned on the central heating which then seemed to heat the water somewhat!!

The pressure in the system is between 1.5 and 2 bar. The kitchen fitter is taking a look at it today, it was only installed last october and have had no problems before!

I am sure all will be well for getting it fixed under warrantee or that my kitchen fitter will figure it out, maybe there is an air gap somewhere or something.

But I did want to see if this was a common issue with common remedies so I can advise, or if its typical of a problem experianced before?

I have tried resetting the machine but to no avail.

Sponsored Links
Have hot and cold to/from the boiler got swapped over somehow?

I dont think so, it looks like the old hot and hold pipes have been teed off to feed the new system

I begginning to this there is either an air blockage (most likely) or a diffuser/distributer/d-something valve mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

If it's an i junior it doesn't have a Diverter valve. (unless its the condensing Greenstar one)
It does have a flow switch though, they call a turbine.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
If it's an i junior it doesn't have a Diverter valve. (unless its the condensing Greenstar one)
It does have a flow switch though, they call a turbine.

My money is also on the flow switch but of course you need someone competent to fix the boiler, which might be under warrantie anyway.

Ok thanks for the advice, one thing i cant get away from though is the fact that the hot water has been worked on, and I cant think that it could be a coincidental breakdown unless doing that kind of work can put a kind of strain on it.....

Unless its something that can break when a sudden demand for hot water comes, ie we have two fancy taps you can flip to 100% on pretty quickly and when we found the problem we had both flipped them on pretty fast...
and now I'm wondering if I heard a clunk! hm (imagination works pretty well this time of day!)

sounds a bit pants though if thats the case!

If it coinsided with pipework you can be sure the hot and cold have been switched, as the flow switch only operates in one direction so although the water passes through the heat exchanger (all be it back to front) there is no demand for heat the boiler won't fire. If however the burner is on because of central heating demand, then passing water through the heat exchanger does generate some heat.

The heat exchanger sees the heat of the flame for either hot water or heating. These are seperated waterways within the same heat exchanger.

I am doubtful of that but will check with the fitters!

All I think they did (after checking their work) was tee off existing pipework

I'd better go and check later carefully, but when you say "hot and cold have been switched" do you mean that they've wired up the cold line to the hot tap and vice versa, in which case wouldn't I have got hot water out of cold? :confused:

Some flow switched are sensitive to getting jammed by dirt in the cold feed to the boiler.

Any new pipework is an opportunity for this to happen.

I am always having to tell clients NOT to flick lever taps closed. It can damage boiler parts as well as losening cold water pipes from the shock wave it produces.

A kitchen fitter is unlikely to be capable or qualified to work on a boiler.

Tony

Agile said:
Some flow switched are sensitive to getting jammed by dirt in the cold feed to the boiler.
Any new pipework is an opportunity for this to happen.
I am always having to tell clients NOT to flick lever taps closed. It can damage boiler parts as well as losening cold water pipes from the shock wave it produces.
Tony

Thanks for the advice! ;)

I did wonder about us simultaneously opening both lever taps quickly (a coincidence interestingly), although shouldn't there be a safety feature to allow for graceful flow?

The problem was a piece of plumbers mait got caught in the filter, (possibly dislodged while the kitchen was being installed!) its all working now!

a turbine in a gas boiler to prove demand for hot water.is a turbine really required as in my knowledge a turbine rotates at different speeds to supply an output in this case to heat water.via boiler electronics and any limiter.
so the idea of slowing flow to hot water taps will not increase the water temperature.
looking to get a large combi at my place next year in lieu of a powermax.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back