shower extractor fan

Bry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I wire an extractor fan with or without a timer delay from a shower cubicle from the ceiling switch operating an electric (instant hot water)shower so that both operate together? I suspect the answer may be different with/without a timer.

Sponsored Links
it is technically feasible though i dunno what the regs are on this

you couldn't do it with a timer without using a contactor as you are not supposed to bridge over a shower isolator for obvious reasons

also you will need protection for the fan and i don't think you are meant to connect the inlet terminals of the fcu to such a high rated supply

a mini-cu in the loft after the shower isolator with a 6A breaker for the fan and something suitible for the shower seems the best bet. something like this

so it's
[code:1]
main cu--isolator--small cu in loft--shower
|
'-fan
[/code:1]

well securespark is there anything wrong with my suggestion?

the fan is adequately protected by a mcb in the small cu
the user still has his isolator to isolate the shower

Sponsored Links
why not wire it fom the lighting circuit, cost less, easier and complies

Because he wants it to operate at the same time as the shower, ie on the same pull cord switch. That's the way I read his original post anyway.

thats true, but to install another cu V pulling light switch

I see no-one has mentioned that any fan in a shower should be a SELV unit and not a 230V unit?

What he wants to do is perfectly acceptable, all he needs to do is install an unswitched fused spur upstream of the shower switch, downrate the fuse to a 3A and the output from this will supply the fan, via a three pole fan isolator. (the live feed from the spur will need to be linked on the input side to provide two live feeds to the fan if a timer unit is installed).

This will then feed the fan via the integral transformer.

hmm running from the fan to both sides of the shower isolator seems wrong to me

because the fan could create a birdge accross the isolator

plugwash said:
hmm running from the fan to both sides of the shower isolator seems wrong to me

because the fan could create a birdge accross the isolator

What are you talking about..no-one has mentioned bridging the isolator :!:

afaict he want's it controlling from the shower isolator (diagrams are just for conceptual perposes fuseing not shown)

if he doesn't want a timed stop then it can be wired completely on the output side of the isolator: no problem exacept how to tee off and fuse down the fan feed

but with a timed stop fan arangement the only line to the fan that should be switched is the swicthed live terminal

but if you take this from the output of the shower isolator and the unswitched live and neutral from ebfore it you are createing a potentially dangerous bridge accross the isolator

if your shower isolator is on the wall outside the bathroom you could use a 3 pole isolator and keep the fan switching on a totaly seperate pole if it

but i have never seen a 45A 3 pole pull cord

I'm with Breezer on this. Assuming the guy is not so insecure as to shower in the dark why can the live feed not be taken from the lighting circuit ? Thus saving the additional work in terms of wiring in a FCU ....

plugwash said:
afaict he want's it controlling from the shower isolator (diagrams are just for conceptual perposes fuseing not shown)

if he doesn't want a timed stop then it can be wired completely on the output side of the isolator: no problem exacept how to tee off and fuse down the fan feed

but with a timed stop fan arangement the only line to the fan that should be switched is the swicthed live terminal

but if you take this from the output of the shower isolator and the unswitched live and neutral from ebfore it you are createing a potentially dangerous bridge accross the isolator

if your shower isolator is on the wall outside the bathroom you could use a 3 pole isolator and keep the fan switching on a totaly seperate pole if it

but i have never seen a 45A 3 pole pull cord

Plug, perhaps you could provide an english translation of this, it make so sense and bears nothing to what has been said before. No-one has mentioned bridging any isolator with any feed.

shower_fan.gif

Unphased, that is the obvious easier solution, but as he wants this fan to operate with the shower it is not the desired solution.

:D Thanks a lot for the lively discussion, guys (& gals?) I find the points raised very helpful particularly the issues on fusing and the discussion on a potentially dangerous bridge.
For safety sake I think I'll install an untimed fan with an in-line lowered fuse to protect the fan.

Good stuff!!

Bry - you can do what you want quite safely. I don't have the time right now to describe it properly, but I'll try and respond with detail over the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back