Leak through bath taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. There is a very slow leak through my bath taps. It seems to be happening when the water which gatheres around the taps, when I use the shower, seeps through the joint between the bath and the tap connectors, the ones that screw up to the bath from below.

The access I have to them is limited, but I can just about get to it using the tap tool. They weren't very tight, and I tightened them up quite a bit, but the water is still coming through. I'm not sure how much I dare tighten them any more....what are the chances I could damage either the pipework or the bath itself?

Is there any other options I have to try and stop the leak?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nbee,

You could try a thin bead of clear silcon around the top of the taps.

Wolfboy

If the backnuts are plastic they split or jump threads easily.

If you can, loosen them off, push the taps up/sideways and clean/dry it all as best you can (finish with meths). Then inject sanitary silicone into the gap and hole under the tap to fill it completely. Then do the nuts up underneath.

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks guys - that seems relatively straightforward.

I currently have some Unibond bathroom & kitchen sealant on the go (waterproof, mould resistent etc).... would that be adequate for the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back