Moving a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a double socket and ideally like to move it 1 meter to the left of it current position. The cable isn\\\'t long enough to reach that far can I somehow connect some additional cable?

Sponsored Links
how many cables are there?
why exactly are you trying to move it?

if its on the ring (two cables present means it almost certainly is though its good practice to use your multimeter on continuity with the power off to check) then i'd say your best bet is to leave it where it is and run a spur to your new socket unless there is some very important reason to remove it.

Its on the ring (2 of each present). The house we bought a few weeks ago and some point in the houses life a plumber decided to place a new radiator with the rad valve obstructing the power socket :(

idiots will be idiots

what direction do the cables come from?

Sponsored Links
mmm, the trouble is you can't just join the wires and bury the result even if you use a type of join thats suitable for burying because if you do there will be nothing to indicate the cables going up.

the easiest option to get a usable socket in that location is to spur a socket off the side of the existing one but having the inaccessible socket still there will look a bit naff.

you could possiblly move the socket upwards but i'd be worried about flexes dropping over the potentially hot radiator.

If you can lift the floor above without too much issue you should be able to move the cables so that one comes down on each side of the radiator (i'm guessing they go off in opposite directions under the floor) and then fit two new sockets with a horizontal run between them but it will mean quite a lot of chasing to first get the cables out of thier old route and into the new routes.

What's on the other side of the wall?

Is it possible to move the socket to the other side and run a spur to the new position?

Ive already looked in the floor space and moving the sockets either side of the radiator isn't possible.

I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks anyway

Hi Qedelec

The other side of the wall is the hallway, I suppose that is possible

There you go then, one extra socket in the hall can come in handy. Most houses have just one and if you have the telephone out there plus a lamp there's no place to power the vaccy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back