bypass ballansing cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Glow-worm Iconomy Plus boiler 6-7 years old and fully pumped S Plan system about 30 years old.
I have 5 radiators, one of them is nearly cold.
Recently my boiler got noisy and I've strarted reading different forums in order to sort this out. Last night I tweeked with the bypass cock, I closed it and then opened it a little bit (something like half turn) My boiler got noisier but the cold radiator became relatively hot.
My question is: is it OK to leave the bypass cock like this. If not, is there some general rule how to set it (I cannot remember the position it was before).
Also I guess my system has a lot of sludge and scale thus I plan to put some de-sludger and then drain. Should I tweek with the ballance again after this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Stop twiddling! Your system sounds like it is full of crud and air due to lack of inhibitor. Your boiler may be noisy due to buildup of scale if in hardwater are. Ensure you have correct cleaner for your system and follow instructions properly. After that put in correct inhibitor. Then bleed all radiators.
Your bypass is solely to protect boiler in case all your rads and immersion tank are turned off. The object is to allow residual boiler heat to be pumped out so boiler does not overheat. Therefore it should be on sufficiently so boiler can cycle without kettling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back