DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

connectinng timber joists to steel beam

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
walter111

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote

has anyone used these before http://www.strongtie.co.uk/pdf/JHA.pdf

the below support model

i have an steel beam running across the kitchen, on top of the beam runs the brick wall so i can sit the joists on it but would prefer them to be lower than the beam so that the floor level will be lower in the new room above. This mean i can knock through from the landing without worrying about steps into etc. Just wondered if anyone had used them, the pic looks simple enough, although it implies sitting one piece of timber in the flange and one above. i would prefer something that wrapped around the beam. any ideas or thoughts.

Obviously will run it by the inspector first. do you have to bolt the timber to the beam or bolt the tie to the beam and steel?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
markie

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote

You can either put your joists directly into the flange or sit them on abit of timber first or bolt timber into the RSJ then use joist hangers.

PS couldn't get your pic up so i'm repling on what you've said btw. But when converting an loft you have that option regarding the steels/joists.
 Alert Moderators
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote

markie wrote:
You can either put your joists directly into the flange or sit them on abit of timber first or bolt timber into the RSJ then use joist hangers.

PS couldn't get your pic up so i'm repling on what you've said btw. But when converting an loft you have that option regarding the steels/joists.

...yeah markie good answer, but the poster wants to offset the joists lower than the steel beam. icon_confused.gif icon_question.gif
 Alert Moderators
markie

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote

noseall wrote:
markie wrote:

...yeah markie good answer, but the poster wants to offset the joists lower than the steel beam. icon_confused.gif icon_question.gif

Like i said I couldn't get the op link, If thats the case all he needs to do is get bigger ceiling joists and notch where the flange is, so it's lower than the steel beam. or bolt timber into the web of the steel and use joist hangers, which you can hang the joist lower than the bottom of the steel.
 Alert Moderators
walter111

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote

the first one is what i had in mind - although i wondered if there were any that wrapped around the steel for greater strength.

the second shot-fired looks sturdier but will leave the joist higher than id like.

any thoughts?
 Alert Moderators
^woody^

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote

Wrapping a speedy hanger up and over a steel beam is not giving you any more strength

Consider your second image, work out how far down the hangers need to be, then measure the distance from the top of the bottom flange to the underside of your hanger.

Then fix a length of timber of this depth into the flange - hilti nail every 500mm or m10 bolts every 700mm

Then nail your hangers on this.

You could just do as per your first image, but the method above saves time and effort in leveling the hangers
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: