Velux windows on low pitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to install a Velux window in a ground floor roof, which requires a minimum 15 degrees pitch. How can I work out the pitch? I know you can also get a flat roof system but that will look unsightly. Thanks

Sponsored Links
do you remember doing trigonometry at school, particularly the bit about SOHCAHTOA?

noseall said:
do you remember doing trigonometry at school, particularly the bit about SOHCAHTOA?

Who was Sohcahtoa?

Was he related to Pythagoras?

^woody^ said:
noseall said:

Who was Sohcahtoa?

Was he related to Pythagoras?

i think he must have been :LOL:

sin= opposite over hypotenuse

cosine= adjacent over hypotenuse

tangent = opposite over adjacent.

;) :confused:

Sponsored Links
or you can do it by drawing and measurement if you prefer.

lol. That is some memory feat to remember.

I just about recall A Red Indian Thought He May Eat Toffees In Class - but can't remember if it was from maths or english lessons

3,4,5 seems to cover it all nowadays though :LOL:

Yes, I remember Silly Old Harry Caught A Herring Trawling Off America.
Except I can't get my protractor or ruler through the plasterboard ceiling.

Does HSS hire theodolites?

You can get a rough idea of the pitch is to use a spirit level, put the spirit level on the roof and pack it out one end of the level until the bubble is in the middle then you may get a sliding bevel underneath the level then transfer onto the protracter

the roof is a big triangle. split the triangle in half at the ridge.

measure the upright distance (x)

measure the horizontal distance (y)

x divided by y.

if the roof is less than 45 degrees you will end up with a number less than 1.

inverse or negative tangent (-tan) this number and it will give you your pitch in degrees.
;)

^woody^ said:
lol. That is some memory feat to remember.
Maybe for some, but I seem to have a reason to use sohcahtoa at least once a week.

That's only useful for confirming right-angles - no use when you're working out a fall, gradient, or many other problems...

Softus said:
That's only useful for confirming right-angles - no use when you're working out a fall, gradient, or many other problems...

agree.

pythagarus's theory is useful for squaring up buildings, in other words finding out what the diagonal measurement is, armed only with the lengths of the two 'other' sides.

3 sq= 9
4sq = 16

16+9 = 25. sq root of 25 = 5

as Softus says, only useful with right angle triangles.

edited. sorry Softus.

are you aware your username is an anagram of tofu ss. sieg heil.

We were taught

Some Old Hags
Can And Have
Touched Our A*ses

Easy one to remember!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back