changing a two way light switch plastic to chrome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just changed the above switch which operates two lights by individual switches. I noticed that two of the three earth wires were attached to the metal wall box. the third was not attached. I have attached the 3rd to the earth terminal on the chrome metal cover switch which also wraps around the two other bear earth wires.

My methodology is that the chrome switch is scewed into the metal box and the earth conduction is maintained though this and the fact that all 3 wires are touching each other

Also it was a bit of a squeeze, pushing flush the light switch against the wall. I guess the wires are pressed tight against the back of the wall. albeit i have checked that the connections are tight.

Do you think this a safe outcome?

any advice or oppinions greatly recd, thanx

sparks111 :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
My personal preference would have been to connect all three wires onto the earth terminal(s) of the switch, and run a fourth wire between the switch earth terminal and backbox if terminal size permits.

As things stand, you're relying on a conduction path between the switches metal faceplace, screws and backbox. If the screws ever become loose or corroded then you will lose this connection, therefore I would consider changing your wiring.

If the switch was a tight fit then it suggests you need a deeper backbox, but if the wires all fit and none are trapped or broken then you should be fine.

I'm not a spark, but my understanding is the metal switch needs to be properly earthed. ie the screws aren't a good enough way.

A nice knowledgable person my comment in a minute to tell me otherwise tho :D

Sponsored Links
sparks73 said:
... I have attached the 3rd to the earth terminal on the chrome metal cover switch which also wraps around the two other bear earth wires...

:rolleyes:

get yourself a DIY book which includes domestic wiring repairs.

the earth wires should all be sleeved in Green and Yellow. The face plate should be connected to the metal backbox with G&Y sheathed wire.

As you have a total of 4 earth wires it will probably be easier to collect them all in the earth terminal of the back box, and just lead the single short connector onto your faceplate.

JohnD said:
As you have a total of 4 earth wires it will probably be easier to collect them all in the earth terminal of the back box, and just lead the single short connector onto your faceplate.

Good luck! Sometimes those earth terminals are a pig to get more than a couple of cables into, either because the terminal simply isn't large enough or it refuses to securely hold multiple cores. Maybe I'm using the wrong supplier for these things?! :)

No mate, they all suck in that respect. Terminal too small for more than a couple of 1mm wires. Only option is (per above) terminate all cpcs onto back box earth screw and run single to faceplate. Dont really like this as the backbox terminal isn't always the best but needs must, as they say.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back