Fitting a bath/shower thermostatic mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having nearly finished my kitchen, in true DIY style I've started on the bathroom and although I can see and have read a lot of threads here on fitting showers, I just want to make sure I have all the bases covered. In essence - I have:

15mm pipework throughout
Boiler (Veissmann Vitroden 100 combi) is next to the bathroom wall - only a few feet away
Cold pressure is great - not measured it, but with the service valves fully open more water goes on the floor than in the sink
Hot - ok, but the curse of combis means it could be better
Fitting a bath filler which is combined with overflow
And a wall mounted thermostatic diverter to flexible shower head

From the threads and a look at water regs. I believe I need to fit a double check valve to the bath and a single check valve to the shower end.

Ok, so the question is:

Where do I fit the double check valve for the bath? Do I need to fit them by the filler, or can they be fitted to mixer inlets? If the latter, do I still need one for the shower head?

As I believe I have a large pressure difference between DHW and the mains fed cold is it worth using Automatic Flow Limiting Valves (if so, what flow rate is recomended)? Or just fit gate valves and balance that way?

As you can see I am not a plumber and so any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and if I've blatantly missed something else, feel free to jump in.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You will find most shower valves and mixer taps have an integral check valve so look for the spec on whatever you purchase.
A thermostatic valve designed for a combi is what your after again the spec should be on the o/s of the box.
Pete

Ok, not had the mixer delivered yet but I've spoken to the supplier and they've assured me it doesn't have one so I'll just fit them as necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back