Noisy pump attached to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been in my new flat for 6 months.

Some while ago I thought that my upstairs neighbours were using the washing machine early in the morning. I was told that the neighbour did get up then, but they weren't using the machine.

I have finally located the problem. They have a pump attached to their boiler/tank and so, presumably, every time they use hot water the pump comes on.

It particularly seems to make a noise above my bed - such that this morning I had to go and lie in the lounge. Eventually I went up to see the neighbours.

They showed me the installation in the airing cupboard.

Of course, this would be on for an extended length of time when they are showering.

Also when the water is shut off, the whole thing judders.

They tell me that they are having plumbers in a couple of weeks.

Can anyone tell me whether there is any remedy for this?

Sponsored Links
Shower pumps are noisy items.

They should be on rubber feet with flexible pipe connections to minimise noise transmission.

Better installers ( like us ! ) also mount them on a pice of thick paving stone on top of rubber material.

Obviously, I have no idea how your neighbours has been fitted.

It also sounds as if you may be oversensitive to the noise of neighbours living close by.

If I am tired I can sleep through any noise!

Tony

1 I work from home - so I don't have the option to get away from it.

2 Despite living in London the place backs on to a park - there is virtually no other noise. I can hear the birds singing from outside my window.

3 I am talking about the noise drilling down from above. I lived in Inner London and believe me I lived in noisy places.

But thanks for your comment about the installation.

The airing cupboard is just next cupboard but one to my bedroom - and the noise of an intensive drumming appears to be coming from the ceiling. This appears out of the otherwise absolute stillness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back