RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that all ground floor sockets including kitchens need to be on RCD protection.If the existing board has an 80mA main breaker can new circuits run from this or should I install a 30mA RCBO or new 2 way RCD board ?

Sponsored Links
Yes RCBO or a split load board.

Sounds like you'll be adding new circuits? Dont forget this is notifiable work....as is changing the consumer unit :(

MARNZIE said:
I understand that all ground floor sockets including kitchens need to be on RCD protection.

Not quite... With the exception of a TT earthing arrangement - all sockets that can reasonably be expected to supply outdoor appliances* require RCD protection. Properties with a TT earthing arrangement require all circuits to have RCD protection.

*With the infinite stupidity of some people, I personally believe all sockets in a domestic household should be RCD protected - that way when someone plugs an electric heater into the upstairs bedroom socket and trails it into the bathroom on a chilly night, atleast that person has a better chance of making it into their bed that night instead of a body bag. :D

Are you sure it is 80mA main breaker? What does it say on it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back