DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Advice on laying gas pipe under timber floor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
todiyfor

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:33 am Reply with quote

Kitchen redesign... To match the level of the adjacent living room I need to raise the kitchen concrete floor by 40mm (using 2x18mm ply sheet, plus tiles). At the same time I'd like to prep the cooker installation by laying a gas pipe across the room. This would mean putting a copper tube ON the original concrete floor, UNDER the top sheet of 18mm ply (and tiles on top of that).

This seems safe - can't imagine anyone nailing through tiles (except under the kitchen cabinets where it'll be ply) but want to make sure it's compliant before the fitter comes to install the cooker/hob...

Anyone see a problem with this?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
htgeng

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote

You need a corgi engineer to install gas pipework and the hob, so I would get one in before you do the job. They will be effectively signing it off so need to be happy with the method.

Personally, the proposed solution sounds a bit dodgy to me.
 Alert Moderators
todiyfor

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote

htgeng wrote:
You need a corgi engineer to install gas pipework and the hob...

I know this. (sigh... how did I know I was going to have to explain all this)

If the gas pipe will run across the floor it needs to be planned in right at the start of the job. The cooker/hob won't be ready for fitting until a week later. I do not wish to pay for 2 visits from the RGI, and it shouldn't be necessary - I can lay a pipe which, when the RGI comes to fit the cooker, will be visible in its entirety so he can establish to his satisfaction that it is safe. If he refuses for any reason - his prerogative - then I need to know it won't be because the pipe run is non-compliant for some reason. Hence my question to this group.

If you have any constructive observations about why this "sounds a bit dodgy" I'd be pleased to hear them.
 Alert Moderators
Nige F

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote

Do it in screwed black iron pipe........ask the corgi about the sizing........install it and get it tested....corgi`s don`t like graft, so you probably wouldn`t get one to screw+fit the barrell icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
Bahco

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I need to raise the kitchen concrete floor by 40mm (using 2x18mm ply sheet, plus tiles)

Why are you using wood which will rot when a concrete screed mix will do the job properly?

As for the gas pipe, run it in a plastic duct or have it surface mounted for piece of mind. icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote

todiyfor wrote:
[- I can lay a pipe which, when the RGI comes to fit the cooker, will be visible in its entirety so he can establish to his satisfaction that it is safe.

Its difficult for me to understand why the pipe will be viewable but not installable at that time? Is it because it will be running through support timbers?

I would be less comfortable about a copper pipe being out of sight and in contact with potentially damp concrete. My preference would be for it to be suspende so its not in contact with any concrete or inside a plastic duct or overflow pipe etc.

Tony
 Alert Moderators
todiyfor

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote

Agile wrote:
Its difficult for me to understand why the pipe will be viewable but not installable at that time?

Fair point - if the consensus is "no problem" I'll build the floor to allow for it. I don't want to discover it's not OK in a week's time when the kitchen fitting work has excluded all other options. The RGI can physically lay the pipe, but I need to prep a cavity in the floor now. Looks OK from the posts here, so I'll go ahead. Agree about leaving it suspended - thanks.
 Alert Moderators
gas4you

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Gas pipe needs to be run in kuterlex coated copper. Put pipe in first and fix floor battens to suit.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: