Whirlpool AWG995 - Drum won't turn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife tried to use the tumble dryer in our Whirlpool AWG995 washer dryer, but when she turned it on it tripped the circuit breaker. Now the washing machine drum doesn't turn. When we tried using the wash function it filled with water and drained and made all the usual noises but the drum wouldn't budge.

The machine is at least 5 years old and hasn't caused any problems before now.

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Check the brushes in the motor, if they are ok, check the wiring loom to the motor for broken wires. Further than that you'll need some test equipment to megger the machine and component parts.

I did wonder if it might be a problem with the brushes, but this motor doesn't have any. I've had a quick look at the wiring but saw nothing. I'll have a closer look, including the control panel area, etc.

OK, got it.
Induction motor, uses a capacitor to kick start it and a small pcb to control it.
Check the wiring to the motor, check the pcb for burning and check the capacitor (you'll need a capacitance meter for this).
If all of these are ok and the motor itself is ok then it's down to a faulty programmer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sleepyhead.

I looked at the wiring and couldn't see anything obvious.

I then looked at the capacitor, although there looks like 2 caps fitted in the corner. The one which I think is the relevant one is a white plastic ItalFarad RP-3, rated at 20 microfarads. I removed it and put my fluke (on the microfarad range) across the 2 terminals that were connected and got an open line.

Do you think that this could be the problem?

I think I may have misused the fluke. After referrring to the manual, I tried putting the probes across the capacitor and timing the charge. It worked out at 30mF and although it says 20mF on the cap, I've got a feeling this is probably ok.

I don't have a megger - looks like I'll need to call someone in. :(

Got a feeling that this one is going to be either motor, motor pcb or both.

JonB - It does turn by hand and without any difficulty or noise.

Sleepyhead - I fear it's the motor but I'm not sure that I can do anything to confirm this. I don't have a megger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back