Clean Dirty Tiles or Not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm from Louisiana.... right before Hurricane Katrina hit, we purchased ceramic tile for our kitchen. The tile was on a pallet on our patio with a blue trap wrapped around it. The hurricane did move it some, but we don't see where any are broken. It's been sitting on our patio for the last two years waiting to be installed (had to repair other damage first). Yesterday we uncovered it and it's full of bugs, ants, and mildew. Is it worth saving? If so, how do we clean it? If with bleach, will it drink in the bleach and smell that way for a long time? Keep in mind that I am ashtmatic. I can't take the chance of it mildewing later on, but don't want to get rid of it if it can be safed. IN the beginning of this year, I took a temp job and was placed in an unsafe room that had mold and I developed bronchial pneumonia within four days. I rather not go thru that again. What's your opinion, clean and use the tile or not?? Truthfully we cannot afford to replace it and will be willing to live with bare cement for another year until we can afford it.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine you can scrub the tiles with a bleach solution, wash off, let dry & they will be as good as new.
I think it will be a tiring job to clean them properly.

I'd be inclined to use a pressurewasher on the stack (I presume they are banded or something) to get the worst off, then give them an individual clean before laying them. The decorative top surface will be glazed and not absorb anything but the backs will be absorbent.

A bleach solution will kill mildew and dry off in a day or two if exposed to the air.

I'm not used to warm humid environments so don't get mildew in buildings here except as a result of faulty ventilation or leaky pipes.

Once they are laid and grouted you will easily keep the top surface clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back