no electricity meter!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have been in my new build flat for nearly 2 years and not paid an electricity bill. The reason for this is because there are not separate meters for the ten flats just one meter in the cupboard. Is this allowed? why aren't there meters for each flat? my flat has also been NICEIC tested aswell.....

Sponsored Links
Take a picture of the meter and surrounding area and we might be able to advise further.
EDIT: is the flat rented?

ill try and take some pictures, my flat isnt rented..... my electricity was cut off last year due to the bill not being paid, once the builder paid it we were put back on.......

I expect the power company don't provide any of you with electricity, but rather provide the building with electricty as a whole and the bill is payed by the company who own the communal corridors and stairs, etc, and they provide you with electricty via an unmetered submain and they get money to cover the costs via an all in one 'mainanance and services charge' of some ilk that you pay to them?

Sponsored Links
on my service charge break down it says that im paying £100 a year for the communal lighting, it says nothing about paying for the elecricity im using in the flat????? how would they know how much im using???

I would certainly expect and hope that there is a cupboard somewhere, probably on the ground floor need the main door or under the stairs, with some electricity meters in it.

I think you need to ask your managing company where it is.

There is a considerable risk that you will be hit with a £5,000 bill when you aren't expecting it.

If you haven't got your own meter, you can expect to be paying your share of the man next door who runs his electric heaters full blast with the windows open to let the excess heat out, and the family who have eight electric showers a day and run their washing machine and tumble drier every day.

Hear it all the time.

I get jobs to do an accuracy test on the meter because cust has had a big bill.

Problem being cust has had a big bill because they've not bothered to check who their supplier is when they moved in or even arrange a supplier,
and they think great not gotten a bill for years I must not be with anyone.

Then boom big bill on mat one morning. :rolleyes:

It isn't unknown for a supply to be totally missing from the MPAN database is it Roo? then you actually are with no one, the electricty suppliers arn't interested in sorting it out as its not their problem, the ones loosing out are the DNO

Roo said:
I get jobs to do an accuracy test on the meter because cust has had a big bill.

Reminds me of the time when I had a job when I was s/e to go to a small over-the-shop-flat to check a customer whose bill was suddenly going massive, and I mean gargantuan...

This poor guy was going grey & bald worrying about it. Until I discovered that the restaurant owner (who also let the flat) was paying the flat bill & the tenant was paying the restaurant's bill.
Don't know how they got mixed up in the first place...Norweb even put a test meter on "his" supply to double check the readings and they tallied.....trouble is, they put the test meter on the restaurant's tails...

Bummer...

Adam_151 said:
It isn't unknown for a supply to be totally missing from the MPAN database is it Roo?

No it's not.
Had a new build in the middle of no where on the border of 2 DNO's a while ago.
The bloke had just moved in and was trying to source a supplier.
Problem was he couldn't get an MPAN off anybody cos neither DNO would take responsibility and kept passing to the other DNO.

the reason the cust had supply was because when the house was built the builders asked for a temp supply, this was forgotten about and eventually powered the house.

Poor bloke was just trying to pay someone for what he was using, and if he'd not been honest could have saved himself loads of mither and never paid a bill.

I'm sure theres more out there too. ;)

Have you spoke to your neighbours about this? Presumably you're all in the same boat, but worth checking to see if others in your flats have managed to make any further progress with this.

If there is only one meter for the whole building then either the builder had intended to cover electricity consumption for all flats through a service charge (which seems unlikley), or it's a very serious oversight and/or balls up. It might be worth getting your fellow leaseholders together to approach the builder collectively to get them to sort it out.

To cover your own back I'd keep a record of what you've done and who you've spoke to since you moved in to get this problem resolved. If push comes to shove and you do get lumbered with a big bill this will give you a bit more baragaining power on when and what you have to pay back.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back