Combined socket and FCU.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a socket that's been in the loft since we moved in, it's taken off the upstairs lighting which I know is not good. It's only used rarely (if ever) for very low power stuff, I intend to fit an FCU for it to avoid anything substantial ever being plugged in, which it does not have, 5 amp I guess. Anyway, my question is, is there a combined single socket and FCU available, as it would be very easy to simply swap the single socket faceplate for one of those, or do these not exist, can't seem to find any. Thanx.

Sponsored Links
I don't think they're made any more.

Never seen one.
You could fit one of those round pin sockets or just tkae the whole thing out.

personally i'd just leave it, worst that may happen happen is that someone plugging in a large appliance and tripping the upstairs lighting.

Sponsored Links
There are 3-gang sockets fitted with a fuse carrier. Then you could run an aerial booster and a lead lamp and still have one socket and a couple of amps to spare even with a 3 Amp fuse.

Trouble is, if you plug in, say, an electric drill and switch it on, the light goes out and leaves you in the dark when the 3 Amp fuse pops :cry:

plugwash said:
personally i'd just leave it, worst that may happen happen is that someone plugging in a large appliance and tripping the upstairs lighting.

Yes, that's happened in the past, before I realised it was on the lighting circuit.
But is it legal left like it is. And if not, would an FCU make it legal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back