year 11 needing help on woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hellow i am a year 11 student called chris anthoney i need help on fixing joint to my prodject i am bulding a cupbaord but the sides i am going to use is a 136 degrees to a bottem of 180 degrees i have fought of having another peace of wood to hold the two peaces togther could you please give me addvice on this with my coursework if you do send me a reaply this wood help me with the coursework

Sponsored Links
Use a Biscuit Jointer.It will cut slots in the faces of timber to meet and small timber Biscuits are glued in and when clamped together the Biscuits will swell and create a strong bond.Ask a competent adult to help because it is not for beginners but good luck.

I am amazed at the poor spelling ability of some students posting on this site. Maybe the teachers at school should concentrate more on reading and writing skills before teaching kids how to do such things as joinery.

Sponsored Links
No it called ' Education,Education,Education' - Tony Blair 1997 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If this is what a modern education does for you, thank god I'm an old fart, I feel sorry for them

Yes,you're right we should feel sorry for them specially if they are dyslexia as well.

Chris, don't be shy we're all here to help you.

Not having a go at you young man, more the overpaid and under worked people that pass for teachers these days ! :eek:

hello,

can you help me with a few carpentry question i have been given at college.... there is about5 in total
1)what is the ideal moisture content for timber used in the manufacture of exterior doors??? plz put a number by the answer

2) what are the recomended types of glue that you would recemend to be used in the construction of exterior doors?(not a trade name)

3)which electrical fitting would affect the choice of hanging side if it had already been fitted into the construction>>????

4)during the fitting process, the edges of the doors are provided with:-
a) a lead in, and
b) the 'arrises' are removed why?

the door edges are given a lead in because

the arrises are removed because

antinator said:
2) what are the recomended types of glue that you would recemend to be used in the construction of exterior doors?(not a trade name)

{Adhesive} {Moisture} {Temperature} {Flexibility} {Color durability}
Urea moderate low low colorless
Melamine high low low colorless
Phenol high low low red
Resorcinol high low low red
PVA low moderate high colorless
PVA - crosslink (Titebond II, etc.) high moderate high colorless
Hot melts high high high colorless

3)which electrical fitting would affect the choice of hanging side if it had already been fitted into the construction>>????

it is unwise to place a lightswitch on the hinge side of a door, otherwise you will need to close the door to turn the light on, if you place the lightswitch on the handle side of the opening you may open and switch on.

4)during the fitting process, the edges of the doors are provided with:-
a) a lead in, and
b) the 'arrises' are removed why?

the door edges are given a lead in because

When the door is hung, you may find that it catches as it closes. Though it may seem that the door is too big, this is not the case (as long as the door fits with the correct clearances when closed). The problem is due to the increase radius of the door at its leading edge.

To overcome this problem, the door should be removed and planed at a slight angle to compensate for the difference. To do this, draw a line the full length of the door, about 2mm from the leading edge of the door and plane down to it at an angle to the full width of the door edge.

In addition to this, you should remove all the sharp edges off the door edges, arrises, with a plane before refitting it.

the arrises are removed because

The edge at a corner or angle, particularly of finishing such as joinery or plasterwork. A sharp arris in hardwood can cut a person's skin and its prone to damage, as is any paint applied over it, which becomes thin from surface tension. Arrises are unusually eased or penciled rounded.[/list]

antinator said:
hello,

can you help me with a few carpentry question i have been given at college.... there is about5 in total
1)what is the ideal moisture content for timber used in the manufacture of exterior doors??? plz put a number by the answer

8% or less moisture content

cheers post me another message if you will be available for some more questions i ned answering:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back