preparing old floor for new tiles...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an old ceramic tile floor (11 yrs old)...i want to pull up the old...not a problem, tiles are popping and put down new tiles. i see backer board under the old tiles. can i pull up the old, clean off the new backer and install the new tiles?

Sponsored Links
I think I'd be wanting to know why your current tiles are "popping" before even considering laying new ones.

p.s. there is a seperate tiling forum ya know. ;)

i thought i was in the tile forum?....this site is very confusing :cry: . not sure why the tiles are popping...they seemed to have loosened over the years, the grout has cracked and the tiles have loosened from the backer board.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to stiffen up your floor beneath the backer board. I don't use backer board cause it doesn't add much rigidity compared to ply wood. Look at replacing the backer board with ply and then re-tiling with flexible powdered adhesive.

scd3 said:
i thought i was in the tile forum?....
Nope, you're in flooring. As it says under the title - "All aspects of flooring and stairs discussed here except tiling." There's a seperate tiling section. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back