vd and ccc for rings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there ..when working out current carrying capacity for ring I found with correction factors the current rating to be 43A, and the tabulated rating to be 27A..now am i right in thinking that as it is a ring the circuit can be treated as two halfs, ie permissible to have 54A( 27A per half of the ring)? does the same also stand true for Voltage drop calculations?

linnsound

Sponsored Links
The regs call for each leg of the ring to be able to carry 20A (2.5mm² minimum for twin and earth).
As for volt drop, this is complicated by the fact that not all of the current is used at the mid point and the loading isn't fixed. The conventional circuits given in the OSG I believe to be calculated somewhere between the max efli and the volt drop at mid point.

thanks spark123

I was taking the 27A a side from table4D1A..method 1. Are you referring to method 4?
I am confused by vd on rings as a result of the standard circuit tables..which state 32A type B max run (tn-c-s)84m.

If i then caculate vd by {(vd/A/m)*Ib*L}/1000

ie {18*32*84}/1000 = 48.34V....even were the calc to be halfed this far exceeds 9.2V....were i to transpose the cacl for max cable run.

L={maxVD * 1000}/L*Ib
={9.2*1000}/18*32 = 16m. Double for ring run =32

what are your thoughts m8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back