UPVC window lock won't open!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently moved in to a house and discovered that one of the upvc windows doesn't open. When I unlock it and lift the handle, the mechanism is only opening one side of the window. Obviously the window is shut so I can't get at the mechanism to do anything about it.

I've called the company who installed the windows and they wanted to charge me £80 to transfer the guarantee to my name. Seems a bit steep to me!

Does anybody out there have any suggestions?

Cheers
Andrew

Sponsored Links
I've had a couple of problems with my uvpc windows locking mechanism.
One was the handle had no effect whatsoever due to the square spindle moving forward and out of engagement, also unable to open window when handle was effective.
I found it easy to move handle although one of the fixing screws is hidden behind foil.
I found handle moved through 90 degrees only and restricts movement of sliding bar, but to get a bit more I substituted the handle with square rod and spanner.
I also found my opening frame is not perfectly square, mine are hinged at the top, but the bottom had moved across to the right and made the locking buttons deeper in engagement in the locking slots.
You may find you have similar problem and beside opening handle you may have to strain frame a little for it to open.
:rolleyes:

Take the window handle off, then you should see a square splindle hole which sometime you can twist it round very carefully with another square splindle then check on the back of the window handle splindle for damaged

I'll give that a go later today. Cheers.

Appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back