Main Bonding Upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to upgrade main bonding from PME to CU with 16mm Cable simply by isolating supply then making connections at CU then to the PME earth terminal?

Sponsored Links
Have the DNO provided an earth terminal for you to connect to?

You are not allowed to connect direct into the head.

New2Game said:
Is it ok to upgrade main bonding from PME to CU with 16mm Cable simply by isolating supply then making connections at CU then to the PME earth terminal?

That's not a bonding conductor, it's a main earthing conductor.
Yes you can upgrade to 16mm2.

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Have the DNO provided an earth terminal for you to connect to?

You are not allowed to connect direct into the head.

Who connects the earth into the head then?

Would it still be ok to change CU if 10mm main earth from head to CU?

if you have a PME supply, the supply head will have an earth terminal on the side of it. You can connect your 16mm G&Y to that and to the CU or an earth block if you prefer. You can't make your own terminal and connect it to the N conductor.

Why not post a pic and show us what you're thinking of doing?

Its defo PME and already has 10mm into side of head, so its just a case of connecting a bigger cable

JohnD said:
if you have a PME supply, the supply head will have an earth terminal on the side of it. You can connect your 16mm G&Y to that

I always assumed that was the case, but then I realised that on a service head where the cover for that terminal is not slightly broken, you actually have to slacken a screw under the service fuse to get it off

Ahah.

Will try to get a Southern pic (nickel plated block without plastic shroud).

(mine is behind the paint cabinet and I can't be arsed to shift it).

I thought the Eastern ones were the same but maybe I didn't look properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back