A big no no???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it wise to run a double socket from the cooker spur to power a fridge and freezer? I'm guessing no but just thought i'd ask, cheers!

Sponsored Links
You're right, it's not wise if the cooker is still connected.

Can you not break into the ring circuit somewhere close by?

PS, for a fridge and freezer you're better off with 2 single sockets as opposed to one double

I frown on this, but the regs say you can as long as you use the same size cable as the rest of the circuit, and it can take the additional load.

As SS has said, although most sparks frown on this practice the regs do allow it.

I frown on this practice for 2 reasons. The first is your cooker circuit is classed as "fixed equipment" so the circuit may have been designed to disconnect in 5 seconds under fault conditions. As soon as you add a socket the disconnection time must reduce to 0.4 seconds so without knowing more about the circuit it's hard to say if it will comply. In the context of this post it probably will but I would rather you had it checked first. If the cooker point already has a socket built in then it should be OK

The second reason. Although at the moment your sockets are for a fridge & freezer, depending on their location they may need to be RCCD protected and it's unlikely your cooker circuit is currently feed via an RCCD. If you add an RCCD to the cooker circuit you stand a good chance of loosing your frozen food because cookers are notorious for nuisance tripping RCCD's.

Sponsored Links
plus it's a nightmare trying to get 2 6mm²'s or 2 10mm²'s into the terminals on the back of a single socket...
:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back