Noisy Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Triancogas 45/60 wall mounted boiler and recently the heating has become very noisy. When the boiler (initially) starts up there is a rushing sound from the water, almost as if it's having a surge ,or even like it the water is boiling. This lasts for about 60 seconds and then goes away, but from then on it comes back every 5 minutes or so whilst the boiler is on. I guess the best way I can describe the noise is like a surging sound.

I've tried bleeding the radiators, but there was no air in them. I've also tried setting the pump at different settings, but the noise is still there.

What do you think it could be?

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
open vented system?

possible choked cold feed.

Sorry, yes it's an open vented system.

By choked feed I take it you mean it's not getting enough cold water to it? Where should I start looking?

at the header tank.

the 15mm pipe that exits the smaller of your two tanks will probably join a 22mm pipe somewhere in your house. get a magnet and see if it will stick to the pipes round this junction. if it does there is a good chance that is your problem.

you can always temporarily back fill your system through the vent pipe that you might have looping over the small header tank.

Sponsored Links
you say no air comes out the rads when u bleed them but do you get water ?
Your boiler could be kettling i would get some fernox for kettling first or DS-40

Yes I get water out of the rads when I bleed them - infact water comes out straight away.

And kettling is an excellent way to describe the noise - it's just like a kettle coming to the boil.

I'll try the fernox, but also have a look at the header pipes, but can you explain more about why the magnet will stick and if so what that means, but more importantly what to do to fix it.

Thanks

Magnet will stick because blockage is iron oxide sludge. If you find this it needs to be cut out and replaced.

Ah, I see.

Thanks all - several things for me to look into.

Ok, I bought some Fernox for Kettling reduction and put that in. That's reduced the rushing sound (still there, but fainter), but now every time the boiler kicks in the radiator nearest the pump rattles and vibrates like hell for a few minutes and then stops.

What's happening now? Tried bleeding the rad, but no air.

No TRV's and pump is now on setting 2 (it was on setting 1). I did that after I'd posted on here and it seems to have cured it - for now.

LOL @ BGTechy - I like a no nonsense approach :LOL: I reckon you're right though and can't do any harm.

Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back