landline phone connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry cant find anywhere else to post this, so admin feel free to move to a more suitable place. :D

Is it possible to connect ONE landline phone to TWO landline lines?

thats got you!!

Sponsored Links
oops, I meant with a normal home phone, using some sort of connectors

nik161 said:
oops, I meant with a normal home phone, using some sort of connectors

No it is NOT possible.

Well to be precise you could physically connect the two lines together but the reuslts would be very un-predictable.

Sponsored Links
nik161 said:
sorry cant find anywhere else to post this, so admin feel free to move to a more suitable place. :D
Alarms and telephones - the uppermost DIY sub forum on the main forum page.

nik161 said:
Is it possible to connect ONE landline phone to TWO landline lines?
Not directly.

You could use a small 2 line PABX and connect both lines into this, but whats the point? To make full use of both lines you'd need 2 phones. :confused:

nik161 said:
thats got you!!
Not really. :confused:

There used to be a hard-wired system that enabled two lines to be connected to either of two telephones.... An extension plan 2, IIRC, but it's well past it's sell by date - by about 30 years or more now.

Modern telephone instruments would not lend themselves to such adaptation anyway.

As Crafty has already suggested, a small PABX would provide you with the facilities you are asking for. You could probably get one off fleabay for a tenner.

Alternatively, you could use a signalling unit set up to GPO specifications, wired to diagram SA9151, a key and lamp unit, the associated 50 Volt DC and 6 Volt AC power supplies and a cart load of 25 pair cable plus suitable connection boxes etc. etc. ......and a nicely polished bakelite telephone with a plaited string handset cord and a shiny chrome plated dial
At least that's how we used to do it. :p

depends what / why you want to do it.

if you have 2 phone lines and say 2 phones in one room (one for each line) and you have a 3rd phone elsewhere you can easily opt to change the single phone from one line to the other very easily

you have a double phone socket one line on eah half and plug the 3rd phone into which ever line is ringing (as indicatted by the other 2 phones)

or before i had a router, i had 2 pc's 2 BB modems (ebay is useful)
i had a toggle switch that had 6 terminals

the centre two are connected the one line.

each outer 2 was connected to a differant socket (one for each pc)
you flick the switch depending on which pc you use.

there should be no problem in doing it the other way round

each phone line to the ooyer pair and the phone to the middle pair, since its a doble pole switch it can only connect to one line at a time

its actually one line I have, but I wanted my portable phone to pick up calls from the standard landline, and the internet phone

I can easily plug phones into different sockets around the house for the normal landline, and have just got a portable phone from ebay, with 3 handsets, our broadband has internet phone which is what we plan to use the prtables with, I just wondered if the normal landline could be plugged into it also. So we cal make and recieve calls on same handsets.

sorry of that isnt explained clearly, not much good with this sort of thing

what provider are you using and what exactly is the setup for your internet phone service like? some internet phone boxes have the ability to pass through to an analog line if a particular button is pressed on the phone.

I used to be on BT with the hub phone thingy.

The hub phone would dial through the internet as standard but you could dial (I think "9") before hand and it would change to your landline.

You can also change settings in the hub which would ring all phones (hub and landline) when a call was received.

VOIP is a whole different ball game. Let us know what router you have and this should be easy.

Homehub allows you to have any line ring any phone, and yes to dial out on VOIP phone via normal landline, you just press 5.

If your router doesn't do this, there are plenty of adaptors for VOIP that present/combine FXO and FXS ports for normal phones to plug into. Then its normally a case of software settings to decide what rings when.

What settings are available on the livebox? It must be similar to the BT Homehub with the ability to ring the phone plugged into it from the landline it plugs into for adsl purposes, no?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back