Concrete or mortar for Paving Slab Edge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have lowered the ground level all around the house to one patio slab width. This uncovered around 9 airvents and some points the patio was 2 courses above the dpc!

Under the slabs was mortar, shingle and hardcore, as you can imagine there is now some gaps under the slabs that are left. What I would like to do is put an edge under the slabs (against the hardcore etc) to make it look better and hopefully support the slabs.

Can I simply buy a bag of cement or mortar and pile it in the gaps and smooth the edge? What is the best material and method for achieving this?

Regards

Sponsored Links
mix sharp sand with cement at 4:1, not too much water and pack it into or under any voids.

Thanks for the swift response. I will have a go during the week! Do I need to get a board or something to prop up the cement while drying or will it be a stiff mixture that will stand up on its own?

Regards

Reginalddean said:
Do I need to get a board or something to prop up the cement while drying or will it be a stiff mixture that will stand up on its own?

Regards

correct! add little water to the mix and this will give you a slump free mix that can be successfully shaped to a degree.

Sponsored Links
Hiya,

Just to let you know I have completed the job at last and your advice worked a treat!!!!

Only problem was I didnt wear gloves and and the sharp sand has ripped the skin of my fingers :eek:

Thanks for your help, onto the next job!!

Reginalddean said:
Only problem was I didnt wear gloves and and the sharp sand has ripped the skin of my fingers :eek:

Make sure your pint doesn't slip through your super smooth fingers :D

Mr M said:
Make sure your pint doesn't slip through your super smooth fingers :D

this is no joke.

it used to happen to me when i first started bricklaying. the condensation on the pint glass actually felt slimy, due to fingerprint-less fingers. pints do slip and the slipping sensation is numbed due to the wear.

honest!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back