cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am putting a new kitchen. at the moment we have just an all in one cooker , with the new kitchen i will be fixing in a new elc hobb and about 3 meter,s away a built in oven . can i take power off existing cooker point for the oven as the hobb will be connected to existing power point . if you can help would be very great full. and this is a great site many thanks olly

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that you will wire the hob into the cooker connection unit?

If by "power point" you mean a 13A wall socket, then DO NOT DO THIS!!!

A hob is in the 5-6kW range, which means 20-25A draw. It must be installed on a radial circuit, via a cooker wallplate.

As to whether or not you can install one in addition to the built-in cooker, from the same wallplate, I am not certain. You might have a job getting all the cables in to the terminals though. Plus you will need to check if the circuit can handle the current of both the oven AND the hob.

I know at this point someone will be putting up their hand and saying "Blah blah blah, diversity". But they obviously smell. :p Think about it like a car: OK, so a typical family hatchback puts out 100bhp. You only use about 30bhp in everyday driving. But what about that one time that you want to get away at the lights, or overtake on a country lane. You would be pretty miffed if you floor it and find that whilst the engine is 100bhp, some gimp has applied diversity and specified a fuel pump that is only rated to 30bhp. At best you would stall (MCB tripping) but it could be worse.

Oh, and I think the hob would have to be within 2m of the wallswitch too.

I'm not saying diversity is always wrong, just it is wrong in the situation of a cooker circuit: there will be a point when someone turns it all on full.

Sponsored Links
Yes, Adam

Each appliance has to be within 2m of the isolating switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back