Country
United Kingdom
Help.

I have 400 watt dimmer.

I have had all my wonder full lighting put in, and now have an issue:
Specs:
Wall lights total of 80 watts
2 Ceiling Lights total of 280 watts
Spot lights total of 200 watts Halogen with Transformers - surger and overload protected.

therefore 4 gang dimmer switch:
1 - ceiling light 1
2 - ceiling light 2
3 - wall lights
4- Spot lights also connect to 5 plug sockets.

I was putting in my wall lights finally last of all everything else working and also replaced the covers on my 5 amp plug sockets when I forget that they were connected to the spotlight dimmers, ( I forget to turn off the lights fuse at the mains) got a short circuit on the the wires at of the 5amp sockets. and then turned off the fuse at the mains for the lights as it tripped.

Problem after reconnecting all 3 dimmers work apart from the spots dimmers.

could this be possibly the circuit on the the back of that individual dimmer has blown ie: the back block or is it the transformers, ( I do not want to take out the reccessed light fittings as that are a nightmare to get in let alone get out.

Has anyone had a problem with one individual back block dimmer and do they blow and can they be individually replaced.

Any previous experience ..comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
probability says its the dimmer.

why not swap the wires for another dimmer and see do lights work

if you have shorted out a dimmer it is more than likely you have fried it, you may be able to buy a replacement module or failing that buy a single dimmer from the same range and use the module from it to replace the one in your 4 gang.

Sponsored Links
I plugged a device in the 5amp sockets last night and also they did not work as they were wired to the dimmer that also turns the spots on ...so I think its defiantly the dimmer module thats knackered.

Yes, it was the dimmer module only, its gone, off to get new one,,,not cheap at £11 + Vat a throw ?

brian1234 said:
Yes, it was the dimmer module only, its gone, off to get new one,,,not cheap at £11 + Vat a throw ?

Where from? Probably cheaper to buy a one gang dimmer!! Might I add that if you modify these items yourself they will neither be guaranteed nor conform to regs. Just worth knowing. If this dimmer now bursts into flames, it's all on you buddy!

The actual dimmer is a 4 gang brass dimmer at £50 a pop, no need to replace the whole switch as the other 3 work fine !

brian1234 said:
The actual dimmer is a 4 gang brass dimmer at £50 a pop, no need to replace the whole switch as the other 3 work fine !

I didnt suggest replacing the whole lot, although technically you should! Merely that there is a "Spares" premium on the module by itself, has to be ordered in , carriage paid for, etc, whereas nicking the module off of a 1g dimmer would not carry such a premium as its probably in stock.

Where did you get the dimmer? Chances are you could have a whole new one as a free replacement from a) DIY shed - not enough knowledge to suspect you killed it! or b) Wholesaler - they get this all the time, some dimmers are born faulty and it's not their problem, they seek a replacement from the manufacturer.

nice idea, but could not be bothered to unwire the whole dimmer to give it bck and go thru the hassel of waiting for the replacement with no light switches to turn the lights on. it taks about a week to order in for my dimmer.
Anyway I found an exact replacement from Mr resistor the module cost £7.00 delivery £8.00, Im just glad it was not the transformers that blew as this could have been even more costly let alone the time it would have taken me to re-wire.

Happy Days.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back