Couple of basic questions regarding dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals.

I have a dimmer switch pretty much identical to this:

By aliterai at 2007-08-06

The minimum wattage is 60W. I am installing downlights and want to test that I have wired up the dimmer switch and dowlight wiring correctly by testing it on just one downlight with a 20W bulb before I wire up the others.
Is it OK to use a 60W minimum dimmer on a 20W bulb?

I am also using a 15A choc block. I read that 5A blocks are used for lights. Is 15A OK?

Sponsored Links
15amp is fine for a chock block - you may find it is too big to fit in the back box descretly, and may not bite the conductors well - it really depends on the actual make of the block!

As for the loading, not having enough load will cause the dimmer to either flash on and off, or cause it to completely shut down - again, it depends on the make.

Are you using dimmable transformers, and a dimmer capable of dimming transformers?

Thanks for the reply mate.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The choc block is for connecting up my loop-in wiring from my ceiling rose to the downlight.

I am using 6 20W mains downlights on a 400W dimmer switch. The downlights are halogen and not LED or fluorescent.

Would underloading the dimmer damage it in anyway? Its a Varilight Soft Start dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back