Tap Orientation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just out of interest...

The taps in my bathroom are the opposite way round to those in the kitchen with regard to hot and cold, left and right, and different from those in friends houses. In my grandparent's house they're even different between the bathroom sink and the bath!!

Is there a "correct" way, or one which is considered "normal practice"?

No real need to question this, just one of those things which makes you wonder...

Sponsored Links
If you buy a mixer tap, hot is to the left and cold to the right, this is the same with a shower bar mixer. So, whilst there are no regs on this it must be commonly held that hot should go on the left, cold on the right, by the manufacturers.

Obviously there is no point in going round replumbing all your sinks and baths to get this way round! But if you install a thermostatic mixer then you would have to get hot and cold the right way round.

My parents used to have a kitchen sink where the mixer taps had to be turned the "wrong" way. People were forever spraying themselves when they tried to turn the tap off!

Should be hot to left cold to right on traditional or mixers. There is a reason...blind people will not scald themselves in a bathroom / washroom they are not familiar with.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back