Prima 80F - overheat stat trips occasionally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Potterton Prima 80F boiler on a fully-pumped system. Over the past few months, the overheat stat has tripped several times but I can't pin down exactly what's causing this. When it does trip, I've just had to reset it and it's then run ok for days or even weeks afterwards.
There are 3 stats on the boiler - the "normal" one for controlling the temperature; a pump overrun stat and the overheat stat itself. I guess any one of these could be playing up. The pump appears to be ok although i guess it's possible that it could be the problem.
Before I start the (expensive) process of replacing parts, does anyone have any suggestions either about common problems with this boiler or about how to pin down the cause of the problem.
Regards
Mike

Sponsored Links
sounds like your boiler stat is failing

CORGI IMHO I am afraid

should not be too dear

What number do you have it set on. I always set to 2 max!

You need to work out exactly when its tripping!

Might be a failing pump!

Does anyone know if these had a built in pump over run?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
You need to work out exactly when its tripping!

Might be a failing pump!

Does anyone know if these had a built in pump over run?

Tony

not too sure about the prima but the profile does tony

Yes, I know the Profile does but I dont think the Prima did.

If it does not have pump over run then scaling of the HE can cause the OK to trip when a demand for heat ceases.

I also wonder when the boiler was last serviced and the power input checked.

Tony

According to a manual I have they do have an overrun stat

well 30e-100e Prima f's do

Is there anywhere for the overunning pump to circulate water, ie a bypass or through a 3 port valve?
Sometimes a fixed (gate valve) bypass doesn't work and you have to fit an automatic one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back