Install a new MCB on board for a shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a shower in my home and i want a good 9.5kw - 10.5kw which will need a 45amp supply. I have 2 spare slots on my CU. My CU is a Tenby. The slots read as follow from Left to Right: Slot1 - Empty, Slot2 - Empty, Slot3 - B32 Sockets, Slot4 - B32 Sockets, Slot5 - B32 Cooker, then an 80a 30ma test switch. Slot6 - B6 Alarm, Slot7 - B6 Smoke Alarms, Slot8 - B6 Lights Up, Slot9 - B6 Lights Dn, Slot10 - B16 Emmersion, then the main power switch running at 100a. I,m competent enough to fit the MCB but do you honestly think its a job for a QUALIFIED electrician?

Sponsored Links
shane1970 said:
I'm fitting a shower in my home and i want a good 9.5kw - 10.5kw which will need a 45amp supply. I have 2 spare slots on my CU. My CU is a Tenby. The slots read as follow from Left to Right: Slot1 - Empty, Slot2 - Empty, Slot3 - B32 Sockets, Slot4 - B32 Sockets, Slot5 - B32 Cooker, then an 80a 30ma test switch. Slot6 - B6 Alarm, Slot7 - B6 Smoke Alarms, Slot8 - B6 Lights Up, Slot9 - B6 Lights Dn, Slot10 - B16 Emmersion, then the main power switch running at 100a. I,m competent enough to fit the MCB but do you honestly think its a job for a QUALIFIED electrician?

shane1970 said:
That depends. How do you know your shower needs a 45 amp supply? Or is this just a standard figure you plucked from the air? Do you know the actual formula?

Do you know what the "test switch" does? Or its real name? Do you know where to source TENBY MCBs? Do you know which side of the test switch the shower circuit needs to be on?

How much of the job are you planning to do? I ask this because adding a new circuit is notifiable work. You would have a legal obligation to tell building control if you were to add a new circuit. Their fee is £60-£100. In some instances getting an electrician in is cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back