Stripped ceiling, patches of paint peeled off...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I stripped ceiling paper with a steamer and underneath is one coat of paint. In some places this seems sound, in some places there are tiny blisters, and in some places large areas (1 foot+) have peeled off with a rubber-like texture.

Underneath the surface seems good and smooth, but is very slightly powdery. Distemper? Surface is grey plaster as far as I can tell.

I'm presuming paint is coming off due to distemper and/or not using a mist coat?

Do I need to get it all off, or can I sand, prime and "paint in" the bare patches? What is best?

If it all has to come off (please, no no no!), what might be the best method? Steaming worked (too) well in some places, but other bits do not look willing to come off...

Sponsored Links
use Zinsser Bullseye 1.2.3 Water Base Primer sealer ;) that`ll hold on to the bare patches........then a fine filler and light sand .......Just done same myself .....job`s a good `un

Thanks for the advice :) Sounds like a bit of a job - since I'm planning to get the walls skimmed, would I be better off just getting the ceiling skimmed too? If so, what prep do I need to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back