Windows and building regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently having a two storey extension built, the upper floor comprising of a bedroom and en-suite. The building regulation guide which was drawn up with my plans state that windows which were to be used for escape should be between 800-1100mm from the finished floor level.
Would that be to the start of the frame or more likely the start of the window opening?
It's just that the windows installed by the builders are around 1270mm from floor level and I'm wondering what building control may make of it.

Sponsored Links
For your info: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADB1_2006.pdf (document) page 21 - 2.8.
Its the bottom of the openable leaf of the window, maximum height is 1100mm, you'd better hope you've got an amiable BC officer! He may pass it, he may not, he may not even notice. Unfortunately the fire regs are one section of the regs BC are usually hot on. Goodluck and give you're builder a punch in the face!

freddymercurystwin said:
For your info: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADB1_2006.pdf (document) page 21 - 2.8.
Its the bottom of the openable leaf of the window, maximum height is 1100mm, you'd better hope you've got an amiable BC officer! He may pass it, he may not, he may not even notice. Unfortunately the fire regs are one section of the regs BC are usually hot on. Goodluck and give you're builder a punch in the face!

LOL @ punch in the face!
At the end of the day I couldn't care less, if it has to be changed - brickwork taken out to allow a new longer frame and window to be fitted then it's not my problem.
He's back tomorrow after a few days off so it's something I'll question him about.

we have just finished a new build house where the window was too high due to roof line. the way we got round it was to build a step to bring that part up to the required distance under the window is that an option you could try?

Sponsored Links
That's not an option in my case, windows are in en-suite and bedroom and I won't be happy with a raised floor in front of them.
The only way around it would be to have two new frames, 2 new windows and the brickwork altered - all at the builders expense.
I'll have a word with him today and see why the sill level is so high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back